Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Free Music: The Steel Wheels


Early in 2012, the Americana band, The Steel Wheels, put out a new studio album titled "Lay Down, Lay Low."  I went ahead and purchased it on vinyl (with a digital download too of course) and I'm so incredibly glad that I did.  It was one of my favorite albums of the year, by far.  Actually, come to think of it, I'm quite upset with myself for not including it on my previous post about my favorite albums of 2012.  I only hope the band will forgive me.  

Anyways, barely more than a year after the amazing "Lay Down, Lay Low" was released, The Steel Wheels will be releasing yet another studio album.  As an age-old fan, I can tell that 2012 was a good year for the band, having listened to their critically acclaimed album (especially the hauntingly beautiful title track) on repeat, they toured all over the country and I saw them play in Ashland with Alexis, I found out they were going to be creating and headlining in a music festival (which Becky, Jessie, some other friends, and I have been discussing attending), and apparently they've been writing and recording enough to have another studio album ready for release in April 2013.  "No More Rain" will be released in a few short months, but to hold you over until then you can check out their live album from a late January 2013 show.  "Live at Ignition Garage" features 19 songs, new and old, fast and slow, instrumental and vocal, all for free.  Yet, there is a section where you can donate to the band if you would like.  
My only problems with this album are: 1) For some reason iTunes placed the first and last song in a different album so I had to manually edit the artist and album names just to make it possible to listen to all the songs in one stretch, and 2) "Miller's Hill" isn't on the album...but I'm just being selfish now.  I LOVE when they play "Miller's Hill/Tamlin" live.  It's amazing.  If you want to check out "Miller's Hill/Tamlin" then click the link to hear them play it live, with a different fiddler, and explain the track's history at the end.  If you want to check out the new Steel Wheels live album for free then click below.  Give it a listen, you'll thank me for it.





No comments:

Post a Comment